So, any of you who know me, know that I HATE laundry. I just cringe every time I have to do it. In Japan, our washers were fine, but the dryers took about 10 years to dry a load. So doing laundry in one day just isn't an option. So, I made myself a new schedule for laundry...whites on Monday, Colors on Tuesday, Jeans on Wednesday, Darks on Thursday, Lights on Friday, and Towels/Misc. on Saturday. I find that doing only one load a day doesn't make me crazy. I can do that. And if I get behind one day, I only have two loads to do the next day. It works for me. Before we moved to Japan, we put our brand new washer and dryer into long term storage in San Diego. When we arrived here in RI, we called and got that storage released and on it's way to Newport. We've been here now for almost 2 months and until a week ago, I've had to take the laundry to a laundromat. Well, after $50 for 10 loads of laundry at the laundromat, I started to hate laundry again. So, when the Bekins guy called to schedule our washer and dryer delivery, I thought, we'll just not do laundry until those come. Well, he called again and said he couldn't get his truck out of Connecticut, so could he come on Tuesday? Okay, I think I have a few more days of clothes for everyone. Well, Tuesday at noon, the phone rings again and he says, I can't get out of here, I'll be there tomorrow. So, by now, we haven't done laundry in about 2 1/2 weeks. We are scraping the bottom of the drawers for stuff to wear. Some of the outfits were just funny! Anyway...they finally arrived and seemed all fine. So, I head on down to Home Depot to buy new hoses for the washer, it has been sitting for almost 4 years! I get home and think I can do this all by myself. I hooked up the hoses to the wall and then to the washer and all was well, or so I thought. Then I got the big exhaust hose hooked up to the dryer and got it fixed into the wall. Then I go to plug in the dryer to the outlet. Well, the dryer plug has 4 prongs and the wall plug has 3 prongs......ugh. So, I go back down to Home Depot and buy a new plug. When I got home, I called a friend from church. She brought her husband over to help me finish this little project. David's out of town this whole time...of course! Well, my friend Scott went to test the washer and water started spraying out of the hoses. Luckily, it was just that I hadn't tightened them good enough. Then he went to attach the new plug to the dryer and figured out that the hookups for the cord were different than on the dryer. By some miracle, I found the dryer user's guide, and he fixed it all up. Well, after all this, I finally was able to start the laundry. I had the kids go upstairs and throw all the laundry down so I wouldn't have to carry it all! They had a blast throwing all those clothes down the stairs onto my head. They just laughed the whole time. It was fun until there were flying laundry baskets! We had a MOUND of laundry in the living room. See the pictures. I started the first load fully expecting some kind of explosion or something! Happy to say that about 30 loads later, and no problems! I don't miss the laundromat AT ALL!!!!!
4 comments:
that's too funny! I bet you were folding FOREVER! I hate laundry, and it truely is the never ending laundry pile. When we first moved to Allentown, we didn't have a dryer. But we did have a clothes line, and that got old really fast! Crunchy laundry--yuck! SO then I'd wash and dry at the laundry mat--that got old and expensive fast too. We now have a dryer and I will never do that again--my dream is to have 2 dryers--maybe 2 washers too! HMMM maybe someday!
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Get-Rid-Of-Fruit-Flies-With-A-Homemade-Fruit-Fly-Trap&id=87041
Try that out - it sounds like a good thing to try. If nothing else, it will be a fun project for you and Abby!
Boy, I hate laundry too! What an ordeal to get everything there and hooked up! That is a cute picture with the kids and the clothes, but I bet you have a new crazy kind of love for the laundry now after being without your washer/dryer for so long! Once in San Diego, there was a pregnant girl who was so sick and when asking what I could do to help, they said I could do their laundry. I did it for a couple of months - picked it up, washed and dryed and redelivered. Now if you want to try something gross, wash dirty clothes (including undergarments) for people you barely know! That turned me off from all laundry for a long time!!!
Your laundry experince sounded alot like my laundry/washing experience in India.
Ahh--the joys of being a domestic goddess!!!!
Janus
Sheila,
Is Abby's hair shorter? It looks shorter in those laundry pix's.
Janus
Post a Comment